Old November 8th 03, 04:48 AM
Karen

in article , at
wrote on 11/7/03 7:41 PM:

So if I get a fancy "cat condo" so she can scratch as well as perch,
how many other small scratching posts should I have throughout the
house?

I have a big tree and three smaller ones about waist high. I have three
cats. Whatever you do, put them in areas where it is OUT. They won't use
them in hidden corners, because that is not where they are.

I'd plan to put her litter box on the upper floor, condo and food on
the main floor, and we also spend time in the basement, which is
finished.

Another claw question (remember, I'm new to cat behavior), when she's
content, she "kneads" her paws/claws. I know she's just being happy,
but it hurts the legs when she's in your lap. Can a cat be made to
understand that her claws cause pain, or do you just get used to it?

If she scatches yell OW!!! Really loud. THey learn fast that this is a
painful thing for you. You'd be surprised. My big boy is SO gentle with his
claws.

My son got an awakening today. He was trying to get her to play with
a little stuffed animal. When she finally did make a grab for it, he
wasn't ready, and ended up with a Band-Aid. I think he respects the
claws now. :-)

That's usually the way scratches happen. It's a good way to learn respect
fast.

Karen