Old May 18th 10, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default Hair balls?

"KenK" wrote

Any other hairball treatments you've successfully tried if this doesn't
work? Preferably something I can put in her food; giving her medications
is
very difficult to say the least!

KenK, what works for mine and is gentle with no harm, is to add extra fat to
my cats diet. I've normally had up to 4 cats at a time for many years and
this works better for long term use than those tubes (which are essentially
seeming to me to be exlax for cats). Some cats it doesn't work as well with
if animal based fats but I've not had a problem yet with a little olive oil
added. It doesn't cause diarrhea or any absorption problems but does seem
to 'speed the hairball along' so it becomes part of the kitty litter
leavings ;-)

Do run this by your vet, especially if yours is allergy prone (a situation
I've never had).

Fats I have used: Rendered generally, chicken, pork, beef, fish oils, olive
oil, duck, and butter (melted and you make ghee which is clarified butter).