Old March 27th 13, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Diabetic Cat question

IBen Getiner wrote:
On Mar 3, 8:10 pm, wrote:
I have a diabetic cat who was diagnosed last week. We have been
giving him insulin shots twice a day. His litter mate, a female
(both are 8 years old) has been hissing and growling at him since we
returned from the vets. They both went to the vets for their regular
checkups, so its not like he came home from the vets to a cat that
hadn't gone. My question is, can the insulin make a cat "smell"
different, that would cause the hissing/growling? My vet had never
heard of anything like this. I would love for this to stop as they
have always been very affectionate toward each other. The only time
they ever did this is when one went to the vets and the other stayed
home.

How come you let it get fat.....?

Not all fat cats are diabetic, nor are all diabetic cats fat. We just
acquired one that is unusually thin because of a thyroid problem. We may
have his thyroid removed, which is a relatively simple operation with cats
and they usually don't need it like we humans do. They can do without
medication after this operation.