Old January 15th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default Neutering a cat with FHV

Lynne wrote:
Levi is scheduled to be neutered on Wednesday, but I may post-pone. He's
had an outbreak today (sneezing and coughing and watery eyes) and I want to
wait until he's as healthy as possible. I realize neutering is not a big
deal procedure, but I know that the stress will be hard on his little body.
OTOH, he's probably going to have an outbreak with the surgery anyway, so
should I go forward?

Also, should Levi be put on a full course of antibiotics after the surgery
as a prophylactic? He hasn't been on them in quite a few months, so he's
not at risk of over doing with them.

I'm currently on a vet-go-round. I thought I had found a new vet, but he
turned out to be a complete turd. His facility is so disorganized and
dirty that there is no way I would allow a pet of mine to have surgery
there. Right now I'm back to using my old vet, who is no help whatsoever
with these questions, but he did do a good job with Rudy's neutering.

--
Lynne

I am sorry that I can't answer this question for you, & also that I am
answering to your request with another question too.

Lynne, can you tell me where to look for more information about cats
with F hiv?

I had a very close friend who came to me today asking advice on
adopting a cat who has tested possitive & wanted to know what it would
entail if she decided to go ahead and adopt this cat. I am ashamed to
say that I know very little about this particular subject, so any info
would be a huge help relating to the pro's and con's please if you
don't mind?

Good luck with Levis & I hope that he is feeling a bit better soon)
S.