Old October 28th 05, 04:10 AM
Rhonda

Default Abernathy (orange guy) update, and question UTI

Abernathy is becoming just a regular cat in the household. A week ago,
he even crawled into my lap for a snuggle, and purred like a truck! He
spent time laying between me and the arm of the chair, and he was
completely upside down. He was 4 paws to the wind.

He still skitters away if we walk towards him, but he has come around
about 200%. He seems to be happy here, and I am relieved!

First health issue though, I caught him peeing on the couch last night.
In the next few hours, I noticed him in the litter box twice. I thought
we had a behavior issue at first because the previous owner said once
when they moved and things were packed in boxes -- he started peeing on
furniture and ruined a chair. He stopped eventually.

I cleaned the sofa and covered it and the chairs in plastic, and
prepared to batten down the hatches. Then after work today I noticed him
squatting several times in the litter box and outside of it. Urine is
coming out in small amounts so he's not blocked, and he's purring and
responsive. I caught the vet just before closing and made an appt. for
tomorrow morning. Please cross your fingers that I can get him into a
carrier this soon after he started trusting humans again.

Question, other than diet what are causes of UTI's? I'll be discussing
diet with the vet. We have changed him off of the Purina he was on at
his previous home. Can stress cause a UTI? He went through tremendous
stress the last few months. If he did have an undiagnosed UTI with the
other owner, it was during a time of stress from a move, also. Once he
has a UTI, will he most likely have them the rest of his life?

All good taking-to-the-vet thoughts welcome for tomorrow!

Rhonda