Old September 21st 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

Default prescription foods for Kidney disease/failure

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
ups.com...
22brix wrote:
"Elizabeth" wrote in message
ups.com

I've started "rating" the various brands (writing on the can with a
marks-alot marker, so I don't forget -- I'm also a bit on the
"geriatric" side ).

Great idea!

Thus far, Eukanuba Multi-stage Renal gets a C-
from the JazzyGirl; Hills k/d with Chicken gets a B-; and Purina NF
Kidney Function (which she almost gobbled!) gets a B+ to an A- (she'll
get two more feedings from this can before I decide a final rating ).

I'd like to try the Purina--I don't know if my vet carries it. Molly so far
is doing well with the k/d. She's even eating the regular k/d which isn't
supposed to be as palatible.

Tomorrow, she'll get to try a pouch food, Royal Canin Renal LP -- made
by the same folks who make the IVD modified. They told me on the phone
that the difference is palitability and acceptablitiy to individual
cats -- the IVD is, like the other three brands we've tried, a canned
food with the normal "mush" texture of most canned food; while the
Renal LP is chunks and gravy (and also requires twice as many 3-oz
pouches as we would need of 6-oz cans). I'm saving the Royal Canin
Renal LP for last, since Jazzy has eaten chunks and gravy food all of
her life, so she's likely to be most disposed to it. However -- her
raction to the Purina NF this morning really brought a smile to my
heart!

Fabulous!

BTW, Jasmine seems to be feeling better since she started on these
foods (Monday evening) -- she's more active and seems to want to be
part of whatever is going on with the other two cats, and also seems to
be peeing less (while her nose continues to be cold and wet [which has
been characteristic of her since we've had her], so I'm not concerned
that she's dehydrating).

That's great! Are you going to be giving fluids at all?

Did Molly show a discernable improvement when she started the Rx diet?

Elizabeth

Molly was pretty dehydrated when she was diagnosed and wasn't eating very
much. She showed the biggest improvement once we got her on
fluids--intially my vet was mainly concerned she wasn't getting enough
calories so we were feeding Molly whatever she would eat. We've been
gradually adding the k/d and now she's getting just k/d so I haven't seen a
dramatic difference just from the food. She's obviously feeling much better
since the new regime began so something's working!

PS -- our young male cat (RugRat) has just discovered that I had the
"empty" cans here on the desk while I was typing, and has begun to lick
every remaining hint of the k/d chicken out of it's can. The Eukanba
--eh...not so much! Maybe I'll have to consider raising the Hills k/d
rating to a full B

My other cats love licking out the empty cans as well.

Ah, the joys of multi-cat families!!

How well I know--I have 7! Mealtimes can be fun with two or three on
different diets for various reasons!

Bonnie