Old August 2nd 03, 04:34 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:17:21 -0500, "DeAnna"
wrote:

If you live in an area where, for whatever reason, you feel unable to
allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for at least some time each
day (and only you can judge your area) then don't have a cat. To have
a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in 24/7 marks you are being
cruel, selfish, or both.

Sir-

Where do you live?

You don't have any cat haters for neighbors?

No. There may be the odd one who doesn't like cats very much, but that
would make them odd now wouldn't it?

Or perhaps you don't *know* you do? You know,
the ones who are nice to your face, but secretly put antifreeze in a dish next to the
garbage can that your cat rummages in, because he is throwing trash across their patio?

You have some strange garbage cans if a cat can do that.

Also, all antifreeze produced in the EU is "pet safe".

Or
the one who shoots the cat with a pellet gun,

Heard of that happening - guy got a very heavy fine and was soon
forced to move as a result of the hate campaign he earnt himself.

because the cat digs up his garden? Or the
person who just hates cats because they are 'cats' and knowing swerves to HIT instead of
swerving to miss, as kitty crosses the road?

Sure, and then he gets done for hitting the parked cars

Are you aware that cats are the most
frequently tortured of all domestic animals?

Nope. Are you aware how infrequent any animal torture really is?

So there is no traffic where you live?

Lots.

No cases of feline AIDS?

Not many.

No fleas

Lots of those, but then humans bring them indoors on their clothes as
well.

or mosquitoes

Nope.
carrying worms or other blood-borne disease or parasite?

Let me know where this Cat Utopia exists, because I'd love to live there.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The feral we just took in, was because the neighbors (on whose destructive dog I had
complained to Animal Control) were threatening to harm the cat,

Something I would have reported to the police.

because (and I must say
unfairly) they couldn't just CALL animal control, as there is currently no law forbidding
cats to roam and destroy, but there is a law prohibiting DOGS from doing so.

That is how it should be. Cats represent no danger to humans - dogs
do.

It wasn't
even our cat, but looked similar to our cat, so they 'assumed' it belonged to us and
threatened harm if we didn't 'keep it from bothering their dog'.

As I said, such threats would be reported to the police.

Call me an 'abuser' all
you like. This baby isn't going any where near the outdoors.

The you are not just an abuser - but a very sick one.

I prefer to call myself a
'responsible' pet owner.

You would, but your lack of understanding of a cats needs makes your
an appallingly bad cat owner.

I am responsible for the behaviour of my kitties, as well as my
dog, and NONE of them are allowed off the property. They can go outside on leashes, or
attended if they obey me and stay in the yard (as my "son" did). They will soon have an
area that is 'enclosed' keeping them safely away from any predators, especially the humans
predators, of the ignorant and violent persuasion, yet allowing them access to the grass,
and sights and smells of outdoors.

Your animal abusing sickness seems to be very deep rooted. Maybe you
should seek treatment for your mental problems.

I am not going to turn this little darling outside, to find her headless body on my
doorstep as part of some nasty neighbor feud, simply because I wouldn't allow their dog to
live at my house, eating my shoes and chewing up my garden hose.

One bad thing about domestication. We teach animals to trust humans. Sometimes I think
that is ultimately a bad thing. Like I tried to explain to a friend about rehabbing
wild creatures. You must not imprint them too much, because that fear and mistrust of
humans may save their lives. Not all humans are kind and good.

Sorry, I have to go "abuse" my babies, it is time for their nightly snack of cream and/or
tuna, and they have all taken turn to come remind me. They certainly have me very
well trained.

You really are sick.

D.

PS-The door was opened to let the dog 'do her business' for the night. All of the cats ran
in the opposite direction as I held open the door, though I made no effort to stop them
going onto the porch. The dog went out long enough to accomplish what she had to, then
promptly sat at the door until I opened the screen for her to come in. I am thinking
they'd all rather be in this comfy A/C, lounging on comfy furniture, and licking the tuna
from their chins, than 'roaming'......

--
Bob.

Alas, your intelligence qualifies you more for the primordial soup
than for the "master race." Recognize your limitations. Then shut
up.