Old January 23rd 04, 01:13 AM
Knack

"Christina" wrote in message
Thanks for this advice...I would have never thought about using this as

cat
litter. I might try it out and see how it works, a bit worried that they

may
play with it though or chew on it, do you have this problem with your
younger cats? I'm not worried if they spread it around the litter box

since
I'm always sweeping around the area at least twice a day as it is (they
sometimes like to play IN the litter box together, just worried they may
drag the shavings all over the house and use it as a toy.

Have 2 adult cats and two 9 month-old kittens sharing a 19" (48cm) x 13"
(33cm) litterbox and I've never seen any of them playing with or eating the
wood shavings inside or outside the litterbox. I scoop out the feces once a
day and completely replace the wood shavings (only a couple pounds) every
3rd day. I'd estimate that the cost of use is probably no more than US 35
cents per week.

If you have a thick carpet, then the tracked shavings are easier to vacuum
clean than clay because the shavings don't get worked into the carpet (they
rest on top). The shavings are also dust free which eliminates the problem
of a dust cloud settling all around the litterbox (as with pouring fresh
clay litter from its packaging).

However, the wood shavings' light weight combined with its static charge
causes a tiny amount of it to occasionally cling to a cat's leg fur. That
stuff usually falls off on a nearby chair or wherever the closest place is
that kitty sprawls out to rest. Also I've noticed that on a very smooth
floor surface the tracked wood shavings can be swooshed (air turbulence)
along the floor by traffic, transporting it further way from the litterbox.
It's very quick and easy to sweep off a smooth floor though; much faster
than vacuuming.

It takes no more than 3 minutes for me to both scoop the feces and sweep the
floor as a daily chore.