Old July 22nd 04, 01:59 AM
Alison

"Laura M" wrote in message
om...
My vet just prescribed prozac (or something like it) for my kitty.

My
kitty is scratching herself bald. It started, I believe, with
allergies this season in March and the vet gave her a cortizone
injection at that time. Every 3-4 weeks she'd need another

injection
to control her scratching herself silly. I thought it was over

until
yesterday when I noticed bald spots on top of her head, and a huge

one
on her neck. The vet suggested this prozac to hopefully help her

get
over this obsessive compulsive disorder of scratching. I've changed
her food in the last three months, brush her, and give her vitamins
that have primrose oil.

Has anyone heard of prozac for kitties???

Hi Laura,
Is your vet sure she has a compulsive scratching disorder? maybe she
scratching because she is still itchy! If she gets bald patches she
couls have eosinophilic granuloma.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...allergies.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...allergies.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...granuloma.html

This link is about urine spraying but it has info about mood altering
drugs and the side effects.

http://www.ivis.org/advances/Behavio...r_frm.asp?LA=1
Alison