Old October 11th 05, 08:07 PM

snip story about cat running loose outside

Does this little kitty have ID tags? If not and she is running loose
with no obvious home, you should grab her, keep her in a separate room
and bring her to the spay van when you bring your other cat. They can
shave her belly and check for a spay scar. If she doesn't have one they
can spay her along with the other cat and you will have done a great
service to cats everywhere by preventing more additions to an already
overpopulated world and some unnecessary deaths. You could then find her
home with a responsible person.

If there's no way to identify her as owned, don't worry about the
possibility she belongs somewhere. I have a rule that if a cat is
running loose with no ID and not neutered they are fair game for fixing
and rehoming. Obviously it's easier to know if a male is not neutered,
but shaving the belly of a cat that might have a home just to check for
a spay scar is no harm done.

I rescued a cat last week that fits this criteria. Running loose, no ID
and definitely has an infestation of earmites. I have her in a foster
home and she's going in tomorrow for testing and spay (if she doesn't
show evidence she has been spayed already.) Even if she was, she'll be
adopted out instead of going back on the street because whoever had her
didn't care enough about her to keep her identifiable, healthy and free
of mites.

I cannot in good conscience turn away from unneutered cats roaming
around. There are just too many cats already and millions dying, and
neutering even one cat makes a difference. You're lucky you have a spay
van where you live. We have no such thing in my city and don't have low
cost clinics, so you pay full price or it doesn't get done. It's a real
travesty and it's disgusting that our local humane society, who is one
of the richest in the country, has yet to implement any sort of
neutering program that could prevent a lot of unwanted births and
subsequent surrender of animals.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke