Old October 12th 05, 05:20 AM
cybercat

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 05:40:04 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio
] wrote:

You got me curious about the price of a chip reader. A
quick search turned up prices from around $250 - 500.
That's a bit costly for an individual who would just like
to see if a cat is chipped or not.

Any vet or shelter should be able to scan the cat to see if it has a
chip. If you are bringing in a cat you found, they probably wouldn't
even charge you. It takes only a minute.

Besides, anybody rehoming a cat whould be having it checked at a vet,
so it wouldn't be hard to ask them to check that while you are there
anyway.

When I adopted my last cat, the shelter lady scanned him to make sure
the number matched the records she was giving me. She's not the only
person in her rescue out at events adopting out cats, but she has that
scanner with her at every show to confirm every ID when they go out.
It's a standard tool now.

Welcome back, Meghan!! You have been missed.