Old February 11th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default HELP PLEASE: fever reducer for cats?

Excellent article on fevers in cats (from article appeared in Cornell
University's Cat Watch Magazine)
....http://www.judithstock.com/Speaking_...r_in_cats.html

The article suggests for home treatment, "wetting down the pads of the
feet and tail". I have also read elsewhere that rubbing alcohol could
be used on the paw pads.

"We rarely use aspirin for fever," said Dr. Guglielmino. "Aspirin can
be used with close veterinarian supervision but we use it for chronic
arthritis pain and heart disease to help prevent blood clots."

"Aspirin is typically metabolized slowly in a cats system; therefore,
it's used in low doses. In addition, a cat dosage is a small fraction
of the human dosage. According to Guglielmino, most veterinarians do
not try to lower fever with anti-pyretic medication (Aspirin) but
instead try to identify the cause of the fever and specifically treat
the cause instead of treating the symptom.

"Cats do not have elucuronyl transferas, a liver enzymes needed to
break down human medications and can't convert acetaminophen to
non-toxic byproducts," stated Guglielmino. "Acetaminophen is Tylenol
- never use on a cat, it will kill them. Cats cannot tolerate other
non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen." "

Lisa
http://www.hoosierkitties.com Hoosier Kitties