Old December 14th 04, 01:29 AM
ChildFree23

Meow, kittiez. I couldn't help but overhear your
cat-ver-sation. Do you want me to investi-cat-e?

Thank you, Capt Midnight! I think that would be an excellent
idea. In fact, there they are at that dark table in the
corner of the bar car. Hmmm... I have an idea.

[Cleo sees that all 6 of the strange cats have empty bottles
of nip-beer in front of them. She leans over the bar and
whispers to the bartender, who gives her a tray with 6 fresh
nip-beers. She carries them over to the table with the
strange cats.]

Meow, kitties. I'm Cleopatra, and I'm with the group that
has the last 3 passenger cars. You're about the only kitties
in this car that I don't know so I thought I would introduce
myself. And since it looks like you're all out of nip-beer,
I brought you all fresh drinks.

[The closest cat, the largest and apparent leader of the
group, replies]
"Well thank you awfully greatly, fine kitty. We appreciates
the generousness of your gesture. Mine name is Hank, and
deze are mine coworkers."

Welcome, Hank and coworkers. We're riding all the way to
Istanbul on holiday. Are you kitties also on holiday?

"No, maam, wez workin. Wez quality inspectitators for a
company dat sells high-quality cat litter. We'z got a really
bigbig shipment of our absolute finest high-quality stuff,
some stuff called bemtomnite, dat we'z shipping to a brand
new customer, and dey sent usn's along to reinspect da stuff
when itz delivered. Gots to keep da custmers happy, you
knowz."

Oh, I've heard of that stuff. That's the kind of clay that
the best cat litter is made of, isn't it? Boy, being premium
stuff I'll bet that you guys just dig up the bentonite,
break into little pieces, and then bag it up without any
perfumes or fillers, huh? I'll bet that freshly ground stuff
feels really wonderful on the paws...

[The two well-dressed kitties, sitting next to the window,
both start to speak but get hushed by the other kitties. The
leader gives them both a very threatening glare.]

"Yes, maam, it surely do. Dat's da real good stuff."

Well, welcome again, and enjoy the trip. Here, let me take
your empty bottles away. [She puts the empty bottles on the
tray, picking each one up with her claw-tips only. She then
returns the tray to the bar. Before the bartender returns,
though, she turns her back to the strange kitties , picks up
each bottle in turn, and places the bottles in individual
paper bags. She then whispers to the bartender again, who
places the bagged bottles in a cardboard carton and takes it
behind the bar.]

Capt. Midnight, the bartender will have that box of bottles
delivered to your stateroom. That will allow you to get
pawprints off the bottles, and maybe see if Interpol-Cat has
any records on those kitties. I think you'll also find that
the two well-dressed kitties are truly what they claim to
be, but the others are imposters.

Fangu, Cleopatra. I'll be leaving my mineownselves. If a
bunch of us leave together, it might tip off the impostors.

Um, where is my stateroom, anyway?

Capt. Midnight DOC
The Good Luck Black Cat