Old July 27th 03, 09:05 PM
Elaine Rene

"Arjun Ray" a écrit dans le message de news:

| What weight do you think is critical for an older, normal to big size
| cat?

Hard to say. I think it has more to do with overall physical condition.
They're likely to lose the musculature of their prime - around the
shoulders, on the haunches, etc. Legs and tail will get thinner. The
fat pad can be misleading - they won't lose that unless they're really
underweight, and maybe not even then.

Yes it makes more sense to observe the overall shape. I think Chaka's
weight always varied from 10 to 12lbs, depending on season, but now he feels
heavier when we pick him up. I know that sounds silly but I think a heavy
cat in his young, very good shape years will still feel light when picked
up. Its true that the legs and tail is a good indication of a cat's health.
I have seen it in the strays that struggle against winter in the village
where I work. They have round bellies but very skinny extremities.

Right now, for example, Scruffy is about a pound under his prime. Some
of his present stuffing could be the result of hydration - he gets 100cc
subQ every day. I expect him to lose at least a pound as his condition
worsens. If he goes under 10 lbs, I'd get very concerned, and probably
consult with the vet about an imminent crash.

That is a stressful not very wide margin. I wish you that he keeps up there
very long. I'm sure Phoenix will help contribute to Scruffy's strength.

Elaine