Old October 29th 05, 09:08 PM
Joe Canuck

Default cat wants company while eating

Brandy Alexandre wrote:

Elizabeth Blake wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Stinky, one of my cats at work, is starting up with a behavior she
has shown on & off over the last few years. She likes to eat in
her own little "safe zone" at the back of the basement, where her
bed & cat furniture is.

I'll bring her food back there and she starts eating. I return
to my office and a few minutes later she comes in, screaming at
me. If I ignore her, she'll come over and put her paws on my leg
and scream some more. She'll continue to do this until I get up.
She then heads back to her safe area, looking back to make sure
I'm following her. Once there, she goes to her bowl and waits for
me to squat/kneel down and she finishes eating her food.

She seems to want me to be near her while she eats. She doesn't
want me to pet her, just watch while she eats. She does eat about
half of the food on her own before she comes to get me. I am
usually not the first person to get here in the morning, and other
people usually give her breakfast. She has no problem eating it
all on her own and she doesn't "ask" anyone else to watch her eat,
just me. She does it every day when I feed her dinner. Today I
got to work early and she came to get me after eating about 3/4 of
her food.

--
Liz

Kami does something similar. I do whatever I can to make sure she
eats, and she seems to want me with her at breakfast. I have to get
ready for work, but if I walk away, so does she. So I stay and pet her
and tell her she's a good girl until I'm sure she's got a good start on
it. Also, after I get home, each time she goes to eat anything I give
her positive recognition for it.

I don't know what it is. It could be a throw back towild creatures
being vulnerable while sleeping, eating and going potty. I think they
want to make sure we "have their six" while attention is diverted to
dinner.

I've noticed a trend.

You always latch onto these cute stories with a "me too" attitude, but
when you post your own stories it is most often always to vent.

Just an observation. :-D