Old August 11th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Polish-Kraut

Default 5 Month Olds are still Scared. Boyfriend is now scared too!

If you do not want skittish cats then suggest you rehome them with
someone that will take them and love them the way they are.

I have four that I took in and they are all skittish. The oldest is
15 / 16 and I took her in at about 6 years and the others are about
3 / 4 years now. They here a strange noise and they are gone. People
wonder if I really have cats at times because as soon as they hear a
knock or hear the door open they are gone and will not come out until
they are sure all are gone - except me. I think maybe the reason is I
live along and very seldom have company except when the kids want
something and stop by. Basically I am all these guys know. I often
worry about what will become of them when I am gone being 62 years
old.

For some reason when the neighbor comes to the door they will peep out
at her. Maybe because at times she has one of her cats with so they
think she is safe.

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

the kitties and their brothers and sisters were brought to the vet when they
were 3 months old. the mother was never found so they don't know how long
they'd been on their own but they were completely feral when they were
brought in. then they spent 2 month in a cage at the vet. I spoke to the
nice people at the vet and they said that the siblings of these guys are NOT
adjusting well and they don't know what they are going to do with them. I
think you guys are right that we need patience and that they will eventually
come around. But i'm not sure that we have that kind of patience-- to be
honest. and it's hard for me to believe that they won't be skittish. we
don't want skittish cats that hide when people come over. I guess I'm
looking for someone to tell me it's OK to take them back to the vet and let
them find them a better home than we can provide. sorry to be such a bummer
and thank you very much for listening to my problems.

Wow, 13 days? I'm starting to wonder what sort of conditions these
kitties came from. Did you get a history from the shelter?

I really appreciate the responses I'm getting here. It's been 13 days since
we got the kitties and we've been doing everything we can to make them feel

[quoted text clipped - 43 lines]

suggest that you not get another. A little shy at first is way down the
list of problems one can have with a kitten/cat.