Old January 18th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Default Best Method for Declawing a Cat?

on Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:45:32 GMT, eDog wrote:

If I keep my cats nails trimmed short will they still be able to
(unintentionally) damage my leather sofa?

Trim their nails short and they will not damage it. There may be surface
scuffs, but unless they use your leather as a scratching post, they won't
tear it. The rivets on your blue jeans will cause more damage. Make sure
you have several tall scratching posts available for them to use and teach
them not to scratch the leather. It works in my house just fine.

You had the cats before you had the leather. Considering performing a
barbaric and cruel procedure on them to protect an inanimate object is
reprehensible. Just don't do it. Or, if you are still considering it, cut
your own fingers off between the last two knuckles first so you'll get an
idea of what it's like for a cat to be declawed.

--
Lynne