Old March 25th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default Why do cats lick each other?

On 25 Mar, 16:22, "stonej" wrote:
My cats like to lick each other around the ears, head and neck. Why do
cats do that? It is a
sign of affection for each other or some instinct thing?

Funny that you should mention this, because 2 of my females do the
same thing too & I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning.

In my case, the elder female was a year old when the youngest joined
us. & It seems as though the elder one treats the younger cat as she
would her own kitten all grown up. She defends her against the males,
& stands up for her if there is ever a kick - off.
In times of pleasure they both sit in the same cat chair (designed for
one cat, not two!!), & as the elder one joins the younger one, she
licks her silly, pretend nibbles her throat, & the younger cat
reciprocates in the same fashion. Eventually, they stop and fall
asleep with one another

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheela...93123619975410

I would be interseted to know why they do it too?
Is it because one of them has a motherly instinct?
S;o)