Old October 9th 03, 01:07 AM
PawsForThought

From: (Al Kondo)

My wife and I are caring for two orphaned kitties that we found
abandoned in our garage. We love them and are doing our utmost to
make sure that our home and care is the best we can provide.

Congrats!

1. He recommended that we feed the cats a dry food diet following the
8th week. I know that there is quite a controversy over wet and dry
food. My research on the internet has convinced me that wet, canned
food is the way to go. It seemed that he didn't know that there was
an issue here.

You are correct, a wet food diet is definitely better for the kittens. In my
experience most vets aren't too knowledgeable about nutrition and often push
products that they sell in their office. What they learn is mostly from sales
reps.

2. I asked him about his attitude about declawing cats, and, he
responded that he would do it if requested by the owner. My wife and
I are convinced that declawing is not what we want for our cats.

Please, whatever you do, don't listen to that vet and declaw your kittens.
Declawing is actually the amputation of the last digit on each toe and is
extremely cruel. Unfortunately, many vets declaw cats as it's a money maker
for them.

If you are into natural care, you can find a holistic vet at
www.altvetmed.com,
which lists them by state. In the alternative, maybe you can ask around to
other people you know in the area who have cats and see if they can recommend a
good vet.

Good luck,
Lauren

________