Old November 19th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default cat vomitting

"nldiggs99" u29295@uwe wrote in message news:697c573a87b79@uwe...
My cat has not ate for a few days, drinks water but then throws up. My

vet
said to bring him in on monday. He did this same thing back in June and

they
did blood tests, xrays everything and found nothing wrong.

He could have had a partial obstruction- which don't always produce dilated
loops that can be seen on x-rays. Partial obstructions often become
complete obstructions eventually.

Well, today after
I got off the phone with my vets office he vomitted again but this time it
wasn't clear it was dark green almost black and smelled just like diarrea.
Anyone have any ideas what this could be? He's only 2 years old.

This sounds like an intestinal obstruction of some kind. When the small
intestine becomes obstructed the microflora changes into something similar
to the microflora in the large bowel- and with an overgrowth of fecal-type
bacteria. That's what makes the vomit smell like feces.

If I were you, I get a definitive diagnosis ASAP because if the vomiting is
due to an intestinal obstruction all that bacteria can lead to toxemia and
endotoxic shock which can quickly become fatal.

Best of luck,

Phil