Old November 5th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Default Keeping warm

Outdoor survivalist here, slept outside without a tent in 40 below
winter weather.

No tent?
40 below is damned cold WITH a tent.
I would assume that you, at least, built a shelter and a fire.

We built quinces (snow shelters). You only need a candle in a quince.
A fire just produces water, chills you, and brings on hypothermia. A
candle melts just enough to create a crust on the inside which helps
keep the heat in.

We did have a big outdoor fire to cook, though, and we kept it burning
through the night just in case anyone got too chilled (unlikely to
happen in the quince, but if a poorly built quince caved in, or if
somone got turned around in the woods and spent too long wandering
around on her/his own...)

Also, I had an emergency van, so if anyone ever DID become seriously
hypothermic or otherwise injured, we could evac them back to
civilization.

--Fil