Old October 17th 03, 08:01 PM
Steve Crane

(Steve G) wrote in message . com...

- So, based on the above, Gaubster's endless railing against ALS foods
appears to be ... misguided. I hear the tuneless whistle of someone
who has fallen into the orchestra pit of marketing.

But, I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Steve.

I'm not sure how comparing labels of various foods would help explain
it so let's look at the actual Key Nutritional Factors established for
growing kittens versus adult cats.

Source: Small Animal Clinical Nutrition IV ed pages 309 and 334
Authors of this chapter:
Claudia A. Kirk, DVM, Diplomate ACVIM, ACVN, University of Tennesee
Jacques DeBraekeleer, DVM, PhD, ACVIM, ACVN, University Netherlands
P. Jane Armstrong. Diplomate ACVIM, ACVN, Perdue.
(ACVIM = board certified in small animal internal medicine, ACVN =
board certified in veterinary nutrition.)

Dry matter basis expressed as percentage

growth adult
Protein 35-50% 30-45%
fat 18-35% 10-30%
fiber 5% 5%
calcium 0.8-1.6% 0.5-1.0%
phosphorus 0.6-1.4% 0.5-0.8%
sodium 0.3-0.6% 0.2-0.6%
potassium 0.6-1.2% 0.6-1.0%
magnesium 0.08-0.15% 0.04-0.1%

Foods in excess of the adult parameters would be more appropriate as a
growth food. While it is possible an adult food at the high end of the
adult range could pass the AAFCO feeding trial for growth, it would be
highly unlikley that an adult food in the middle to lower end of the
adult ranges would do so.