Old January 2nd 04, 05:14 PM
Mike Harris

Default Litter Dust / Crystals / Love Bites

It seems as if every time I change my kitten Charlie's litter, I
experience some major allergy symptoms centered solely in my eyes over
the next few days. I'm using Fresh Step Clay. Do you think it's an
allergy to their particular brand, or to clay litter in general? I
highly suspect that it could be due to the dust involved in pouring the
new litter; I don't seem to experience the symptoms when raking the
litter for poop, for example. I really don't think that it's due to
Charlie's dander, although I suppose I could be mistaken. Any
suggestions? Should I go get goggles and a dust mask from a hardware
store?

Also, as a possible solution, I had thought seriously about switching to
a crystals brand; Charlie's been remarkably adaptive in adjusting to
things (especially since he is a young 'un -- about four months now),
but I note that you're not supposed to flush the solid waste from
crystals down the toilet. (See http://www.freshstep.com/crystals/faq.html#14.) How do people handle that, then? I'm in an apartment building --
would this mean putting poop into a plastic bag and tossing it each
time? [Wouldn't you eventually run out of plastic bags? ;-)]

One last thing ... Charlie is beginning to give love bites when he's
happy. They're cute as heck, and right now since he has baby teeth they
don't hurt that bad at all. But I'd like to discourage the 'love bite'
behavior, while not alienating him. I've already adopted the "NO!"
(accompanied by occasional water bottle mist) for other bad behavior,
which he's reacted to well. But I'm afraid discouraging him right when
he's being affectionate might train him right out of *any* affectionate
gesture, if you understand what I mean. Any idea? Or is this just
something that you just put up with as part and parcel of being a cat
owner?

Much obliged in advance for your help, folks ...

Mike