Old June 6th 12, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

chaniarts wrote:
On 6/6/2012 12:32 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine
bristles and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them
out. Would a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get
them out?

When we got our little female, "Sara" from a farmer, she had
tangles you wouldn't believe. Brushing wouldn't get them out. So,
we took a clipper to her as soon as the Summer season set in,. and
shaved all her tangles out. She was gloriously happy, and, when
the hair grew back in, she never got another tangle! It must be
the good diet she got from us.....

I'd rather not cut out or even clip the fur mats, which are in the
short
fur of the haunches, I imagine Mage might freak out. Would a good,
warm
bath and shampoo get the mats out?

Probably, but I'm not sure how well she might take to getting wet.
Some of our cats don't mind, but the others won't have anything to
do with it. We have no cats that we raised from kittenhood
ourselves. We got them all aqs adults, so we never had the chance to
introduce them to water when young. SWara was surprisingly receptive
to being clipped with n electric trimmer, and she was v3ery happy to
lose the tangles. I think it was a lot less traumatic than washing
them out, but your cat may not mind being bathed at all.....

all of my 6 cats were obtained as adults (2 years old) and all have
been introduced to showers. some of them wouldn't chose to have it
done, a couple really enjoy it, but all will stand there and let us
bathe them without having to nail them down or wear armor.

Well, give it a try, but as Rene says, cutting them out may be your only
choice. I would have a small pair of blunt nosed scissors handy, so you can
clip out whatever doesn't want to wash out.....