Old July 24th 09, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default how many meals?

"calvin" wrote in message
On Jul 24, 12:55 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"calvin" wrote in message
Three meals a day (multiple flavors of Fancy Feast) plus
dry treats ('elevensies') just before my bedtime. Also they
(seven cats) have round-the-clock dry food to munch on
whenever they like, plus several water bowls, refreshed
daily. I'm spoiling them? You bet, and we all love it.

The problem with dry food is that it isn't "spoiling" them. Cats should
not
have carbs. There is a much higher incidence of diabetes and other health
problems in cats that are fed dry food.

My cats prefer the canned food that they get for meals.
The dry food is for between-meal munchies when they
want something more, especially during the long 12-hour
stretch between supper and breakfast.

What I meant by spoiling them is having three meals
a day plus 'elevensies'.

Could you consider some other treats instead of leaving dry food out? A cat
that munches all day could easily become a overweight. Twice a day is
considered optimum, so it isn't necessary for a cat to munch in-between.

MaryL