Old February 2nd 04, 07:04 AM
Charlene Mann

Ablang wrote:
I'm curious what made you choose cats over dogs?

snip

Because all the cats in my life have in one way or another chosen /me/
as well. Because on returning from a near-death food-poisoning
experience (most likely due to contaminated mayo on the fast-food
burger) I "came to" on the mattress to find my hostess' Maine Coon cat
Krittur (I was visiting friends and miles from home when that pizen hit
me brain) cuddled up /directly on my Heart chakra/, purring to beat the
band. (The experience was as of being "called back" to my body by the
cat. Go Figure.)

Because my first conscious experience of direct mind-to-mind contact,
yars later, was with Issa, another cat. (This quite unexpected event
was not at all unlike the Tai Chi "Pushing Hands" exercise; Go Figure
Again.) Because when I meditate Theravadan-style, the cat provides
simple, reliable feedback. (Got a correctly stilled mind a-going? Cat
stays in the lap. Sudden distractive perturbation "vibe" in the
s'posed-ta-bee steadied and meditating mind? Middy-Boo delivers a
strong, non-physical "Ping" {more like a "WHOMP!", really} to the Heart
Chakra, _then_ stirs and leaps away.) (Still figuring, Friend?)

Because a dog cannot function nearly as well (read, "at all") as the
Chief Rodent Control Officer in either of the two large downtown
commercial buildings I maintain, and are in fact held in general
disfavor by most owners of such structures as these due to their
unacceptable excretory behavior patterns when kept indoors, all
vermin-huntng skills notwithstanding. Because the cat often works
smarter (not harder) than either of the two other (semi-marginal by
nature and inclination) members of my current maintenance/security
"crew". (Anecdotal evidence suppressed to avoid any appearance of /ad
hominum/ denigration of the goodly cat-loving hoomuns involved, both of
whom I must needs interface daily with in order to live well.)

Because as one poster (he manifestly being most strong indeed and most
generally wise besides, methinks) sig'd using another more clever
wording, when both cats and dogs are well-treated, the dogs invariably
concludes that the hoomuns must be gods - and the cats inevitably
realize /their own/ eternally Divine nature instead of going all abject
and servile, as does a "god spell'd back'ards" every time.

Because I am a Spiritual Egyptian as well as genetically
Iroquois/Cherokee - and woe betide any minion of Rome who commits the
Eror of Bubastis in MY Holy Temple of Industry! (At least one Roman
soldier, new to ancient {albeit then-modern} Egypt, is reputedly on
record as having been formally tried and executed under the then-current
Egyptian criminal code after having accidentally or gratuitously
{accounts vary} somehow slain a cat in that City Most Holye to the
Spiritual Catness and Cattitude in All Things.)

Because I enjoy an Inner heritage (aka karma) that includes Dragon,
Goat, Snake, and Cat in its constitution. (All are "Good Medicine" in
their own way, each according to their nature.) Of the four, the Cat is
both the most affectionate and, for YT at least, both the most practical
and the easiest by far to keep.

Enjoy the thoughts. Namasté! Now I say no more. (Purrr...)

--
Cordially,

Rev. Pastor Charlene Mann, ULC
(who has already started one smart church and prevented or stopped
several stupid fights)
and Middy-Boo too
(Who LOVES the *.cats NGs, keeps returning to alt.lucky.w, and dreams of
the day He gains Opposable Thumbs.)

"Meow meow Fluffy owns Usenet Middy-Boo grants all access and C-80
collects the access fees meow meow! purrr..."

(Grin.)