Old August 29th 03, 09:37 PM
whayface

On 29 Aug 2003 12:20:27 -0700, (-L.) wrote:

A very good friend of mine who has taken over running our local
shelter decided to try EAN (?). She asked me what I thought of it and
since I have had no personal experience with it (my vet/boss doesn't
believe in it) I told her what I had heard from people in these groups.
Some here have said it's fine and even easier on the animals. So far
only one vet (new school) in our area will agree to perform the surgery
at such a young age. Our local spay/neuter clinic won't even do it
until the animal is 5 months old. Of the few that have been done so far
more then half have had complications, one family has spent close to
$400.00 so far trying to treat a vaginal infection and the dog still has
a greenish discharge (they live out of state and I get updates from her
mother, who is a client of ours). Others (local people) have had to
treat for urinary tract infections/problems and vaginal infections. So
needless to say she is thinking about stopping it.
My question is do you think it's the surgery being done so young or
possibly the vet doing something wrong?

The high-volume feline specialty vet I worked for routinely did 20-40
EAN surgeries per day - our only requirement was that the animal be 2
lbs or heavier. Never had any association with UTIs, or anything
else, for that matter.

My vet will not slay (SP?) or neuter until kittens are at least 4
pounds.

http://www.ameritech.net/users/lestark/my-babies.htm