Old November 25th 05, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default help - declawing

"Juls" wrote in message
I'm just devastated and could use some advice on how to handle this.

My little cousin (like my little sister to me) is all set next fall to
start college, and she's planned to be a vet since she could talk. The
only thing that changes regularly is what kind of vet. (A few weeks ago,
she was thinking opthamology, now she's thinking exotic animals and
working in a zoo, hopefully with big cats)

She and her best friend (also going to be a vet) are doing their senior
high school project by volunteering at a vet office one day a week. So
we were talking yesterday about the kinds of things she's doing at the
office, and the various procedures she's been in on. (As an observer)

A dog that was hit by a car and had to have xrays, various exams and
tests, and a DECLAW. I said "Oh no, the vet does declawing??? How
horrible!" And she said it wasn't that bad.

I said "They amputate the ends of their fingers," and she said "No,
there are various ways to do it, and they really only remove the very
tip."

If that's how she described it then she saw a cat's nails being trimmed,
*NOT* a declawing! Send her a link to this site:
http://community-2.webtv.net/stopdeclaw/declawpics/ and just ask her if this
is what she saw the vet do. The pictures are quite enough to dissuade
someone from declaring a cat that they love.

Hugs,

CatNipped