Old March 2nd 13, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Second cat to help my big one exercise?

wrote:
My cat is 9 and overweight. The doctor said he needs to lose weight
or could get diabetes. He's an indoor cat and gets bored of any new
game quickly. He's already been on the diet food. Would a new
kitten help encourage him to move around and get some exercise? He
could use some company as well

I don't know about you, but the other cats being around just contribute to
mo overweight cats problem. He eats his own food, as well as whatever the
other cats leave in their bowls after they are done eating. We have 5 cats,
and Tiger can't be isolated from the others and fed se[perately because they
are all outside cats and can come and go wherever they please whenever they
please. If you have just one cat, then you can ration his food and don;t
have my problem so I think you are right now in the best position to control
his diet, and getting another cat will just complicate your ability to
control his diet. I am not a diet expert, but I wold suggest that ou get a
scale, and weigh everything he eats and write it down so you will firstly
know exactly what he is eating and how much of it he eats. Then consult with
a ver as to how to ct back on his diet without compromising his health.
Since he is an inside cat and the only one, you have control, so you might
as well use it.