Old July 17th 05, 10:22 PM
Alison

"Trish" wrote in message

That's sounds a very interesting book. I'll have a look on

Amazon. Did he give the references he used to support his theory

re
cats ?
Alison

If I remember correctly he did, its been a few years since I've read

the
book. I wrote a presentation on the book for one of my human

evolution
courses in university. It's easy reading, however it was written in

the
60's and as times change so do theories..

I have to say I'm impressed. Did you enjoy the course? I had a quick
look on the internet and his theory is
that aggression is not a natural human drive , a sort of nature
verses nurture and enviroment ?
Knowledge about cat behaviour has come on leaps and bounds since
the time he wrote the book but
its true that cats are territorial and more than some other species.
There's also Freeze and Faff about (fiddle about) along side Flight
and Fight ( The fours F's ).

Did you have to read Desmond Morris's The Human Ape on your course?
He also wrote Cat Watching
which was light weight but I remember The Human Ape took the world by
storm, so to speak.

It's interesting that you (one)compare humans to animals when studying
humans. On animal behaviour courses you
compare animals to humans G Some advance courses you have to study
Thorndykes and BF Skinners works
and compare breed specific behaviour to Maslows ladder and whether
they can achieve self actualisation in a home enviroment .
Alison