Old June 6th 12, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chaniarts[_2_]

Default Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

On 6/6/2012 12:32 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine bristles
and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them out. Would
a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get them out?

When we got our little female, "Sara" from a farmer, she had tangles
you wouldn't believe. Brushing wouldn't get them out. So, we took a
clipper to her as soon as the Summer season set in,. and shaved all
her tangles out. She was gloriously happy, and, when the hair grew
back in, she never got another tangle! It must be the good diet she
got from us.....

I'd rather not cut out or even clip the fur mats, which are in the
short
fur of the haunches, I imagine Mage might freak out. Would a good,
warm
bath and shampoo get the mats out?

Probably, but I'm not sure how well she might take to getting wet. Some
of our cats don't mind, but the others won't have anything to do with
it. We have no cats that we raised from kittenhood ourselves. We got
them all aqs adults, so we never had the chance to introduce them to
water when young. SWara was surprisingly receptive to being clipped with
n electric trimmer, and she was v3ery happy to lose the tangles. I think
it was a lot less traumatic than washing them out, but your cat may not
mind being bathed at all.....

all of my 6 cats were obtained as adults (2 years old) and all have
been introduced to showers. some of them wouldn't chose to have it done,
a couple really enjoy it, but all will stand there and let us bathe them
without having to nail them down or wear armor.