Old December 19th 05, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Question - Cats and Eggnog

Gandalf wrote:

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:07:04 -0000, Mark Edwards
wrote:

I was just wondering - is non-alcoholic eggnog (specifically
Borden's) bad for cats? I just know that Little Feet will want to
sample a little when I open it.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

Doesn't eggnog have *uncooked* eggs in it???

According to the US Dept. of Agriculture, you're not even supposed to
eat partially cooked eggs anymore, due to the Salmonella which is not
killed by partially cooked eggs (sunny side up,etc.).

He was talking about commercial eggnog, so strictures on
"raw" eggs don't apply. (IIRC "Borden's" comes in a can,
and doesn't even require refrigeration until after you open
it.) Even if you're a purist like me, who wants to make it
from scratch, you can now buy "pastuerized" eggs - true,
they cost about three times as much as the normal ones, but
if you have an irresistible craving for "real" eggnog,
that's an option.

I don't know what Salmonella would do to a cat, but it can make a human
very, very sick.

I thought it was one of the human diseases to which our
companion animals are immune.