Old March 29th 04, 12:03 PM
Tish S

Default Persephone learns acrobatics

My sweet little Persephone isn't the brightest pebble on the beach
(that's the Pooh reference). Last night she hopped up on the couch
next to me and started tiddling in the corner of the couch - just like
she was fishing. I wriggled my fingers for her and let her tiddle
them for a little while (she was being gentle). After a short while,
she got bored and looked around the room to see where she could make
the most mischief. Just on spec, I tickled her tummy, expecting her
to flop over on her side and activate the Claws of Death (y'all know
what I mean, don't you?).

Instead she did something extraordinary - she extended her back legs
fully (elevator butt) and then looked *between* her front legs back
along her body to where my fingers were tickling her tummy. She
looked just like the A.A. Milne illustration of Ey-ore looking
backwards through his front legs. It looked so funny that I started
to laugh, but she wasn't finished yet - she then reached back with a
front paw, while her back legs were still extended and, to all intents
and purposed, did a head stand.

She couldn't control my fingers with one paw, so she then tried to
reach back with the second paw to trap my fingers. So if you can
picture a small black and white cat with her head between her front
legs, looking backwards, both front paws extended back along her
(round) belly and her back legs stretched out fully to try to escape
my tickling fingers.

At that stage her weight distribution was all cock-eyed, and she over
balanced, tipping herself forward and into a foreward roll off the
couch and onto the floor!

I roll about, crying with laughter (alarming Mum and Dave) and
Persephone gives me the *most* reproachful look and proceeded to wash
herself clean of all traces of embarrassment.

Poor baby Persephone, but it was a golden moment that will continue to
make me giggle for a long time to come!

Tish