Old December 16th 04, 12:35 PM
Phil P.

"tunic" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
no luck...

i'm feeding him twice a day
but he seems to have been blocked again
i took him to the vet and she pressed his bladder and only a tiny flow
came out. so there must be a stone in his urethra which cant be removed
and the only solution is PU..
if there are any final suggestions please let me know

thank you very much

I'm running out of alternatives to surgery.

In some cases acidifers are administered and a urinary catheter is sewn in
place for several days to keep the urine flowing while the stone dissolves.
This is a little risky because acidification of the urine is not without
potential toxicity (hemolytic anemia, met hemoglobinemia, and Heinz body
formation, and possibly renal damage). Acidification may be of no benefit
if your cat is obstructed with a plug instead of a stone. Also, a
difinitive analysis of struvite has not been made.

There are usually only 2 places where a stone/plug can lodge. One place is
where urethra narrows, sort of like a funnel, where its passes over the
pelvis into the penis. (see illustration on my site).

http://www.maxshouse.com/Anatomy/ana...enital_sys.jpg

The other place is in the tip of the penis where urethra is the narrowest.
*If* the obstruction is in the tip of the penis, and your vet has keen
surgical skills, you just might, *might* get through this crisis with a
urethrotomy instead of a urethrostomy. A urethrotomy differs from a
urethrostomy in that only a temporary opening is made in the penis and
urethra to remove a lodged stone or plug and to provide an opening for
temporary urine flow. The layers of skin, penis, and urethra are opened,
then sutured closed in reverse order. The cat gets to keep his penis. Since
the technique is very similar for both procedures, perhaps your vet can
begin with a urethrotomy and continue on to a urethrostomy if the stone is
not lodged in the tip of the penis.

However, I'm very concerned about the patency of the urethra. Repeated
blockages and catheterizations may have severely damaged the urethra leaving
no alternatives to a perineal urethrostomy.

At this stage, and due to the likelihood of urethral damage and the high
risk of obstruction-induced oliguric acute renal failure, and the discomfort
and stress of repeated blockages and catheterizations, if he were my cat, I
think I would go ahead with the urethrostomy. UTIs are trivial in
comparison to the other alternatives. But that's merely my opinion and I
could be wrong.

It looks like we're back to where we started. I wish I could be more
helpful.

Please keep me posted.

Best of luck.

Phil