Old June 22nd 15, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Baby is in the house

Just to review, Baby is a small girl cat, around six years old, who
has lived in a box outside my front door since she was born. She's
always let me pet her, and I probably would have taken her inside
years ago except that she often hangs out with her mother, Jet, and I
never wanted Jet to be lonely. Jet is far too feral to ever come
inside.

But I'm moving very shortly, as is the other major feeder on the
block, so Baby would lose her two primary feeders, as well as her home
since the new owners are not likely to keep her outdoor house.

I was really unsure about whether to add Baby to my three indoor cats
though. She seems to enjoy being outside, and I'm only supposed to
have two cats in the new house. But two days ago she showed up with
her ear messed up and quite a few scratches around it. So I need to
take her to the vet anyway.

Last night I put on heavy gloves and pulled her into the house, put
her in the carrier, and brought her to the spare room where I have a
littterbox and some food for her. All last night she was yowlling.
When I went in to the room, she rubbed against me and I pet her. I go
out, close the door, and the yowling begins.

The room overlooks the street and I had to shut the window because she
was trying to rip through the screen in order to get out - from a
floor too high.

That's the current situation when I set off for work today. Baby has
made it very clear that she wants out of that room. The other cats
have been sniffing her under the door.

It looks like Baby is going to rule the roost. I haven't had an Alpha
since Espy died, but I think Baby is going to take the spot.

My vet can't see her until tomorrow so today I'll probably let her out
of the room and she can begin her rule. I've already put together a
coller with a tracking device so I can find her if she disappears, but
it's getitng harder to do that since I'm packing and there just aren't
that many places to hide.

So it looks like Baby has finally become an indoor kitty. It will be
one more complication for the move.