Old May 26th 09, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

Default discouraging unwanted behavior in 1yo siamese

"peter" wrote in message
jmc wrote:

I've not heard this with a hair dryer, usually a vaccum cleaner. Ignoring
the behavior does work, but I understand Siamese can be particularly
stubborn.

thick is the word i had in mind

Keep doing what you're doing. You don't need to wait minutes, then she
might not "get it". Wait maybe 5-10 seconds after she goes quiet. Be
absolutely consistent. You give in *once*, you have undone any progress
you may have made.

yes

You could just not let her out at all, which would of course be better,
and might be a good training tool. Eventually she might stop crying to
go out, because she's never allowed out.

the orange cat, "massive", (~19 lbs, has his own gravity field), torments
the himalian, 10 lbs, if they are not let out

As for the bedroom door, you could try in reverse. Leave the door open
at night, and if she wakes you, put her out of the bedroom, close the
door, then ignore her.

i am afraid she might experience rapid deceleration against the bedroom
wall if she were to howl 2" away from our ears in the middle of the night

You know making stupid comments like that even if you are joking IS NOT
SOMETHING SO US FIND IN THE LEAST BIT FUNNY

It only took my kitten a total of two weeks to
get the point of this, and the lesson has stood well for the 13 years
we've had her.

jmc