Old July 7th 06, 07:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

Default ping Takayuki

On 2006-07-07, Micha penned:
On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 14:12:27 -0400 Kreisleriana wrote:

[... self-help books issue ...]

I have a problem across the board with self-help books, because all
the authors and all the books are in effect telling you "This is
what you should do," and I can't stand anyone telling me that.

Well, most of those books *really* tell "I have done it that way and
it had worked out for me". If you read several of them concerning
the same topic, you may find at least as many opinions as authors
and some opinions may be totally adversatively. So you usually
cannot transfer them 1:1 to your own situation.

You may read several, get the main ideas behind the resolution
described and use those ideas as steppingstones for your own
personal solution.

I agree with the last part. I couldn't read a book and say, "Yes, I
am going to do exactly what s/he describes to the Nth degree and be
happy." But I do get a couple of good ideas. I figure any book that
gives me even one new and useful idea has been helpful.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully