Old April 14th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

Default More Questions on Canned Cat Foods and Urine PH

Since my last appointment with the veterinarian I have become even
more determined to feed my cats the best food out there. I am running
into a lot of interesting information, most of which is conflicting,
if not downright confusing.

Some statements, however, are stated as fact over and over.

Making my own cat food seems like the very best idea, once again, but
not very realistic. I wouldn't dare, despite all the good recipes out
there. Especially in light of the fact that there is quite a bit of
controversy over what it takes to get the PH correct in the urine of a
cat like Max.

I prefer to read studies in medical journals, and studies on urine PH
and cat nutrition are two entirely different issues.

I emailed Natura today to ask them specifically if their foods were
specifically formulated to maintain a healthy PH level in cats urine.
I got a brief letter from them stating that their foods ARE designed
to yield an average urine PH of 6.4 - 6.6.

This is one sentence from the email: "All of Natura's feline formulas
are formulated to produce a slightly acidic urine with the average
urine pH being 6.4-6.6."

Isn't it true that in order to make this claim they would have to have
done some research on this? I emailed them back asking if they have
the facts to back this statement up.

Does anyone else have any suggestions about what questions I should be
asking them?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.