Old April 16th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default DON'T FALL FOR IT

On Apr 16, 1:29*am, "tanadashoes" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

And besides that, they *enjoy* their claws, no? At lleast judging from
the look of absolute nirvana on their face when they're s-t-r-e-t-c-h-
i-n-g and clawing on a scratching post!
Defense is a good argument on its own for keeping the claws, but I
think the biggest issue with me is the residual pain that some cats
have, for the rest of their lives, from declaw surgery. *I've even
read that declawing a cat changes the way it walks on the paw pads,
causing orthopedic problems later. I believe that theory is still out
for argument, but it sure sounds reasonable to me.
I don't know why declaw is taboo, either. I've never seen the subject
cause a problem among regulars, or at least that I recall.

=================================

Maybe we should lobby the American Veterinary Association about it. *If
enough people make a stink about it (sorry Catnippped) maybe the time will
come that the AVA will include it as a non practice.

Pam S. who bids 300 quatloons for the stinky truck

I think the AVA would be a good place to start. I ragged on a local
vet once
about it. He *knows* it's wrong. You could tell by how he was making
excuses and getting defensive.... He's a good vet (otherwise). One
thing he said that struck me was "Well, I won't do 4-paw, no matter
what."
Like that somehow was redeeming. Sigh.
It does stink. (sorry CN)

Sherry --- who can't decide which is worse, eau de dead mouse or
tomcat spray