Old July 20th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

Default New Fancy Feast

wrote:
My own experience with Fancy Feast has been rather negative on the
whole. Purina seems more intent on advertising ploys, fonts and what
not, instead of making available exactly what is the analysis of the
food inside.

Don't you think you're just a tad obsessed about this? Do you really
believe the numbers you read are the actual numbers? Do you really
trust these companies? If I were you, and so concerned with the exact
content of a can of catfood, I would make your own. That way you know
exactly what's in it. You could even send off a sample to have it
analyzed to make sure you have the right proportions.

My main "beef" with them is the rather high to intolerably high
phosphorus levels. This is akin to humans and McDonald's and the sky
high fat and salt contents of those junk foods.

Now hasn't Phil P posted the particular FF flavors that are okay in the
phos department?

I'm concerned that high phosphorus level may shorten the life of the
cat in the long run. And may be why most cats die around 15 years of
age and die of renal failure.

Phos levels are important, but so is the whole picture. You need to
concentrate not only on phos, but all nutrients of a food, and that
would include the ingredients and where they come from. Do they come
from synthetic vitamins, or is the food naturally nutritious? Are the
ingredients bioavailable to a carnivore? Do they promote health, etc.?
Well, you get the picture.

I prefer moderate phosphorus levels of less than 0.80% on a dry matter
basis. That is 0.80% not "as fed" or "guaranteed" but a "dry matter
basis."

Try getting that information out of Purina / Nestle who make Fancy
Feasts.
It's like pulling teeth and it's not updated so it's not really tracked
that I can determine.

I've never had a problem getting the info from Purina and other
companies shrug

Any opinions?

see above