Old August 23rd 03, 02:07 AM
Arjun Ray

In ,
) wrote:
| "LeeAnne" wrote in message ...

| Have you tried changing the cat's diet? Look around on the internet for
| info on this crystal problem

She already thinks she knows better.

| I know that Aryun already told me that watching the ash content in the
| food was false,

That isn't what I said. I said that "low ash" and "urinary health" are
marketing slogans, aimed at keeping *humans* in the cocoons of their own
convenience.

The *facts* are that struvite is a magnesium compound, and magnesium is
part of the "ash" (i.e. mineral) content of food. However, simply
reducing magnesium intake is not a cure-all, because minerals need to be
in proportion anyway for their proper absorption.

But there's more to it, much more.

First, struvite crystals form in relatively alkaline conditions only.
Normally, cat urine is quite acidic - this is a natural consequence of a
carnivorous regimen, meat being far more acidic in the byproducts of its
digestion and metabolism than vegetation. So, you also have to look at
why your cat's urine isn't acidic enough.

Second, simply acidifying food with supplements is not a general answer,
and in fact a potentially very dangerous thing to do. This is because
excessive acidity is *also* bad for cats. Here, the danger is (calcium)
oxalate crystals. They're worse than struvites, because they can't be
dissolved.

Third, cats concentrate their urine. Solutes buildup in the bladder is
how crystal precipitation (like leaching or sedimentation) can start in
the first place. Unfortunately, cats have a very weak instinctive drive
to drink water. If they didn't, they could drink enough and flush their
bladders more regularly, clearing solutes *before* they have a chance to
accumulate.

So, overall, you have to look at the rate at which the body tries to rid
itself of mineral solutes through the kidneys, and the rate at which the
disposal occurs as a result of adequate water intake.

Feeding dry food with lots of minerals is obviously the absolute worst.
Feeding canned food (which assures adequate hydration in healthy cats)
is unambiguously always better than feeding dry food.

So, as long as the "ash" content isn't dangerously unhealthy, you have
nothing to worry about as long as the cat ****es it out fast enough.
Barring other medical conditions, this *is* a sufficient answer.