Old April 18th 04, 07:33 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 23:03:47 -0600, m. L. Briggs
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 07:25:31 +0300, "Marina"
wrote:

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in

If, in the hopefully far distant future, I ever go to a Home, I'll
insist it's one which allows furry visitors. I can understand banning
pets for residents, who may not realise they can no longer take proper
care of pets. But it seems to be fairly accpeted knowledge that having
a pet around, even part time, is beneficial.

Me too. What I hate most about staying in hospitals is that I can't get my
cat fix every day. There was a story in the paper recently about a home in a
Finnish town called Vaasa, where a cat had been living for 11 years. All the
inmates and the staff loved him. Suddenly, after 11 years, a health
inspector had decided that it was "unhygienic" to have a cat living in the
home, and ordered them to put the cat to sleep! This was met with a storm of
protest from both inmates and staff, and the decision was finally revoked.
There was a picture of this beautiful brown tabby. One of the inmates was
quoted saying he didn't like to sit in your lap, but when she had her photo
taken for her 100th birthday (!), the cat, called Niklas, jumped in her lap
to be in the picture, too. Awww!

When I was in the hospital for hip surgery and again for knee surgery,
visiting pets were allowed, I declined to have my cat brought to the
hospital, However, volunteers brought dogs in to visit patients who
wanted to see animals.

I don't imagine any of my three would enjoy it visiting. Guess it'd
take a special kitty to visit homes/hospitals and not get stressed out
by the trip and strange sights and sounds.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: