Old March 27th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Default cat poop stinks

on Tue, 27 Mar 2007 00:05:29 GMT, "kitkat via CatKB.com" u26561@uwe
wrote:

I had a problem with SUPER stinky poop with one of my cats and then
both of them - I was feeding them prescribed food from the vet so I
knew it was good stuff (it better be for $25 a bag)...turned out they
had round worms...can't see them with the naked eye - you'll need to
get a poop sample and bring it to the vet - you'll likely get a call
in 24 hours.

I'm going to put money on the fact that one of them has worms. and my
cats are both indoor cats so it doesn't just happen with outdoor cats.

My cats are both on monthly Interceptor, so I know they don't have round
worms. BTW, you can see round worms with the naked eye once they mature.
They look like spaghetti, only they move, and they are disgusting.

Interceptor, by the way, covers heartworms, hookworms, roundworms and
whipworms. The only worm it doesn't cover is tapeworm, and I haven't
seen any evidence of that. Indoor-only cats can and do get intestinal
worms, so that's why I give them Interceptor.

I wondered if the L-lysine I give Levi had something to do with the
horrible stench, but there has been no change since I stopped feeding the
canned (and therefore stopped the L-lysine, which I sprinkled on the wet
food), so that's not it, either.

Different foods result in poop with different smells. High quality food
doesn't neccessarily equate to less stinky poop is all I'm saying. The
possibility of worms was, however, an excellent point. Whenever there is
a change like that which can't be explained, a trip to the vet is
definitely in order. In our case, though, the increased stink correlated
with the switch to Innova Evo (canned and dry).

--
Lynne