Old December 9th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.community,alt.pets.cats,alt.cats
cybercat

Default feral cats

"Edward A. Falk" wrote in message
Related question: I have two cats who were rescued feral kittens. They
did all right for a few years, but I then adopted another kitten who
hissed
at them constantly. They decided to hell with it and moved out of the
house
and now eat their meals on the back porch.

It's cold and dangerous out there. I want them to be indoor cats again.
What's the best way to handle this? Should I just catch them and lock
them inside? Guaranteed at least one of them will pee on things if I do
this, but I guess I could drape plastic over anything that doesn't clean
easily.

You got it right. Just bring them in and keep them in. At first, confine
them to a small room with cat box, food, toys and bedding, to get them in
the habit of using the box. Visit them a lot. Let them out after a couple of
days. At the first sign of inappropriate elimination, back in the room.
Eventually, they will be retrained. They are creatures of habit. This works.
(I assume you have them fixed.)