Old November 28th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stormmee

Default Winter weather, stray cats and water question

better to feed him and let him be then, Lee
kraut wrote in message

I might be able to trap it but there are no "No kill" shelters in
area. Humane Society of Saginaw County prefers young sociable
adoptable cats and this is a non friendly adult cat. In the couple
years I have been feeding him he has not let me touch him once. He
comes when he sees me and meows when I talk to him because he knows I
am there to feed him but stays just far enough away so I can not touch
him.

I can not take him in cause I already have 4 I took in which is
already 1 above the legal limit. That leaves the county shelter which
will keep him 3 days then ------.

As I said as long as he has shelter and is healthy I would rather
leave him be but am always watching for someone that might take him
in.

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:31:01 -0600, "Stormmee"

wrote:

no suggestions but dry food is better than he would get without you so

that
will give him the strength to get water on his own, too bad you can't

catch
this one, soft

kraut wrote in message
. ..

Morning all. It is 9:04 AM in Michigan and 22 degrees with a wind
chill of 11 degrees.

Was wondering if anyone else that feeds strays could help me out here.

I have a couple strays that I feed and have been for a couple years.
The one has shelter that he can use under a persons house and in a
garage. I also leave dry food under this persons porch and try to
make it there once a day to give it a can of food and some water. As
long as he has shelter and I can feed him and it is in good health I
would rather not catch him. The other one usually shows up to eat
then leaves but judging by dry food use it and / or others eat when I
am not there.

Thing is I do not live there and this guy that does will not feed him
nor will he let me use elecricity for heated bowls but says it is ok
if it is there and I feed him. I can feed him PERIOD. In the middle
of winter the canned food and water starts freezeing almost almost as
soon as I put it out so if the cats are not right there to eat and
drink it freezes solid. They still have their dry food but no water.

Remember I do not live in the area but try to make it there daily
weather permitting. Anything decent I leave there is stolen due to
the type of area so can not use anything fancy for them. TV dinner
dishes and old plastic bowls etc.

Any reasonable suggestion or will they get enough water from snow and
such.

TIA