Old September 16th 03, 12:04 AM
Fred Williams

Dan and Nancy Mahoney wrote:

Simons Mom wrote:
I have a 7 year old female DSH cat. She has suddenly taken to
peeing outside of her litter box and all over my carpet. She pees
on shoes she pees just outside the door of her litter box she peed
on my purse that was laying on the floor and to be honest I am
really tired of this. We just moved into our home a month ago and
it stinks now. I need some advise on how to get rid of the smell. I
tried to steam clean and it seemed to make it worse. I know stress
can cause this and I am hoping this is just a phase but if it keeps
up I may have to take drastic measures. We just added another cat
to our home a few weeks back but he stays in another part of the
house and they never see each other. I am more worried about how to
get rid of the smell than anything else....thanks

First step would be to take the kitty to the vet - sudden changes in
behavior like that are often signs of a medical problem. Urinary
tract infections are a very common cause of inappropriate peeing,
can be VERY uncomfortable for the kitty, and are easily treated with
oral antibiotics.

If the vet doesn't find anything wrong, then I'd suggest 2 things.
First, pick up some Feliway spray and a couple of Feliway diffusers,
Even through the cats don't encounter each other, it's entirely
possible that they're aware of each other. That's all it would take
to introduce behavioral stress and cause changes in bahavior.

Then I'd recommend picking up a big jug of "Nature's Miracle". It's
an enzyme-based cleaner, it's pretty inexpensive, and it works
wonders on removing pet smells.

All of the above,... seconded. Don't forget to show the cat lots of
love and affection, (even more than usual). It's probably the stress
of moving, but do the trip to the vet, just in case.

--
Regards
Fred

Remove FFFf to reply, please