Old June 12th 12, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

Default How much exercise

On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:10:07 PM UTC-6, Joy wrote:
Kathy wrote in message
Thank you to everyone who answered my post about our new cat's hiding. He
only hides when he wants to sleep undisturbed now. He seems to be
adapting quite quickly.

We got him a cat stand so he can climb up high with a scratching pad on it
and sometimes use a "mouse" on a string to make him bat at it. We only do
this about 2 or 3 times a day. Without any other cats around, he doesn't
get much time actually running. I am wondering how much exercise a 1 yr.
old cat should get and how to create that in the house.

For most (but not all) cats, a laser pointer can provide lots of exercise,
if you're willing to spend the time. I used to have a couple of cats who
would run up and down the hallway chasing the red dot.

Joy

My cats play fetch, until they are tired. That usually takes about 10 minutes. They are good kids, each one waiting their turn. I get a bigger workout, but I suppose that's to be expected, since I'm bigger than they are smile.