Old October 23rd 12, 06:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Feral cat problem

dgk wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 07:56:26 -0700, Mack A. Damia
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 09:19:39 -0400, dgk wrote:

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 22:35:17 -0400, (Pon o)
wrote:

"Trap, neuter, and release is one
"solution". At least, a partial solution.
You can help either by donating money
to organizations who do this, or catch
your own feral cat, have him/her
neutered, and release him back where
you caught him. (when we do this, we
usually end up owning another cat)."
Ok, thanks! That's what one local cat org. is doing. But they rely
on private donations since there is no legislation/no funding,
concerning domestic cats, feral or not, in the state of NY (&
other states as well).

For all their good intentions, this expensive neuter/release
program is a drop in the bucket. Donations are scarce; cats'
lifespans are short because of disease, traffic, starvation.
frigid winters, & this summer--drought! It's heartbreaking to see
what these animals go through.

So I guess there is no good & lasting solution?

Do you expect this to be a growing problem in the future? I don't
remember feral cats being a problem until a few yrs. ago.
Thanks,
- Pon

Oh, if you're in New York City get in touch with Neighborhood Cats
(
www.neighborhoodcats.org). They have classes in how to do TNR (I'm
a graduate) and it helps a lot to know the ins and outs. Someone in
my neighborhood asked me how to deal with the cats, I told her to
take the class, and she just did around 15 cats on her block. Pretty
amazing work. Once you take the class, the ASPCA will do the
neutering for free, otherwise it's $100 per cat.

But it still does look like a growing problem even though TNR is a
good solution. I think a lot of cats got dumped when folks were
losing their homes and it seems to have upped the population. There
sure are a lot of cats around though.

http://tinyurl.com/8k7l4cd

Yes, that would be me. Hopefully I can get to the carrier.

I wonder if the drugs you need for neutering the cats are easily available?
I would be surprised if they are in todays druggie society.....