Old June 20th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

Default buffy the bulimic cat

In article ,
Luna's Mom wrote:
Claude V. Lucas wrote:
In article .com,
Rene S. wrote:
wrote:
Hi,

My cat buffy frequently throws up the food she has just eaten, within
20-30 mins of eating. This leaves a mess, unless my other cat eats it
up, which she is kind enough to do on most occasions.

What I notice with buffy is that she doesn't really chew her food and
she wolfs it down. Someone told me also that she might be eating too
fast so to serve smaller portions, but unless I watch over every bite
she eats, and make sure she takes time between bites, I haven't been
able to eliminate this problem.
Have you tried feeding canned food? Does she have hairballs when she
vomits or any other symptoms?

Bubba was gobbling his kibble and then throwing it back up.

I switched him to a larger kibble that he couldn't swallow without
chewing it up and he keeps it down, for the most part.

Kibble size makes no difference for Luna and her hork-habit.
I call it her hork cycle, since it happens about monthly, a few times
and then goes away. Usually, I find a hairball in there somewhere during
one of the episodes, but not all. The article about feline vomiting
pretty much explained luna in a nutshell.

Petromalt seems to help Bubba with his hairballs...