Old August 6th 03, 10:43 PM
Yngver

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote:

contrast, Debbie - who was about 5 - 6 at the time - had 5 teeth out once

&
was virtually back to normal by the time I picked her up later that day.

Wow, five teeth at once! Poor thing.

Yeah, but... the day after those extractions she purred more than I'd ever
heard her purr, & continued to be a ready purr-er the rest of her life. So
I guess she was mighty happy to get those teeth out of there! Yet the only
symptom she showed beforehand was drooling.

We knew our cat had one tooth that was giving her some pain, but the vet
discovered the problems with the rear molars only after cleaning off the
tartar. That was unexpected. Yet like your cat, our cat wasn't really showing
any symptoms of problems. On her annual exam, the vet noticed the one incisor
was bothering her, so he recommended the dental cleaning/extraction.

I can't tell yet if she is glad to have the teeth out, but she is eating more.

Our cat was pretty wobbly when she came home, and better the next day but

still
a little unsteady on her feet until the following day. The vet said that

one
of her teeth was causing her pain even under anesthesia, so I wonder if he

gave
her a little too much after that.

Hmmm... yes, that's possible, I suppose. I've had teeth that needed a LOT
of Novocaine for root canals, surgery, etc. - the amount he assumed would
work, didn't.

My husband is like that. He's sometimes had huge doses of novocaine and still
didn't get numbed up. But of course novocaine is a lot different than using a
genera anesthesia as is done for cats.

The vet said they would note not to use that anesthesia again with our cat, but
I'm not sure what he used. The bill said isoflurane but I thought he told me it
was sevoflurane, which is newer and supposedly even safer.